It turns out only the FIRST procedure is necessary

FIRST, a registry edit to disable Word  converter from recognizing html &
htm extensions

1)Run Regedit

2)Navigate to:
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Text

3) In the right hand window you'll see four sting values inside the HTML
key. Double-click the "Extensions " string to modify.

4) In the Edit String window for Extensions, modify the Value Data to remove
"htm html htx" I just removed the letter "h" so the Value datea now reads
"tm tml tx" 

5) Click Ok to accept changes to Value Data.

6) Close Regedit

The procedure above is all that is necessary to have Word show the code in
html files. I found out later that the SECOND procedure, below is
unnecessary. I list it because I told you I did two things 

SECOND, Rename html converter 

1) In Windows Explorer, navigate to
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Textconv  Folder

2) Rename the HTML32.CNV.
I renamed it to xxxHTML32.CNV
much thanks to David Todd for this fix!