Old 11-15-2002, 07:08 PM
Location: 12 Oak Drive, Marlborough, CT 06447 (860-295-9986) ronstygar@aol.com

i
HK Traffic Pro install in a E36 '97 M3

The HK Traffic Pro kit includes a connector with pigtails that goes to the BMW radio harness. It also includes a connecter with pigtails that goes to the HK Traffic Pro.
You get to connect the pigtails. This lets you adapt the BMW harness to the HK TP.

Would be nice if the pigtails on the HK TP connector were the same length with the wire for the reverse lights being longer like it is with the BMW kit. I can make them the same length but will lose the markings.

This pic shows the adapter cable wiring. Although the speaker wires are labeled correctly the wire colors are 180 out. Pins 4 and 10 are missing from the BMW connector

You can use the BMW pin shown in the following pic to fill them.

Will be doing the install next Saturday. We ordered the red illumination assuming that it will be a closer match than the amber. The BMW install kit for the E36 M3 includes an antenna bracket (not available separately) that is not included in the HK kit. Will figure something out here.
What we know.
The BMW NA and Euro TP will run the BMW IBUS changer if you have the right cabling. These units will also run the Becker changer.
The HK and Becker TP will not run the IBUS changer, I'm told.
The BMW NA TP uses the same software discs as the HK TP.
The ones that came with the HK TP work in my BMW NA TP.

Last edited by Ron Stygar : 11-15-2002 at 07:16 PM.
HK TP in my Z3

Tried the HK TP unit in my car today using my BMW NA TP cable assembly.
Red looks OK.
It will NOT run the BMW IBUS changer.
I swapped the removable display from my BMW NA TP unit and installed it on the HK TP unit and it works. Had to enter the security code for the HK TP unit. Instead of coming up BMW on the HK TP unit, it comes up Becker. So I guess you might be able to purchase a BMW EURO TP display as a part if you wanted to match the BMW illumination.

Old 11-19-2002, 05:12 PM
Old 11-19-2002, 06:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein auto:98 M Roadster
I've been using the system for the past two weeks, and would have posted earlier but have been trying to work out this illumination issue.

I am the aforementioned user that Ron Stygar refers to. I have an E36 coupe, and had both the amber and red HK Traffic Pro's in my car at one time. The amber is by far more legible in direct sunlight than the red. Ron's observations are correct that it oftentimes washes out and has a tinge of pink in direct sunlight. After having initially used the amber, the difference was dramatic enough for me to want to switch back (again) to the amber. For reference, those who have been in one of the previous gen's E class may have seen a stock radio's non-COMAND illumination. The amber is very similar to that. While it is less of a match with the BMW illumination than the red, it's by far more usable IMHO. I would take pictures, but I no longer have my PowerShot. I'm currently located in the Bay area, in case anyone really wants to see the amber. I really wish it matched better, but the functionality of the Traffic Pro is unparalleled.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:05 PM
Becker model 7860 6 CD Changer

Changer arrived today. Comes in a nice box. Appears to have everything we will need. Nice looking unit.

Old 11-21-2002, 08:07 PM
Adapter cable

Started to make up the adapter cable tonight. The wire colors on the Becker end connector are different than what's shown in the install manual which I posted earlier. Just go pin to pin and ignore the colors. Following pics show the color differences between the manual and actual connector.

Old 11-21-2002, 08:10 PM
This and this

This

and this

equals this
Old 11-25-2002, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Horst
The US navigation CD wont work with the European Traffic Pro.
Today, I tried an original Becker European navigation CD in my HK BMW NA Traffic Pro unit.
It didn't work (wasn't recognized).

Last edited by Ron Stygar : 12-15-2002 at 06:56 PM.
back to Traffic Pro Users page

Esmerelda's Page Esmerelda's Home Page~ Z3ers.com
all material on these pages is copyrighted