Old 06-11-2002, 03:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Rachel
Mein auto:97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
Alarm install in '01 3.0? Has it changed?
Last edited by Rachel : 09-09-2002 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:41 PM
The 3-Color M Stitcher

Mein auto:01 M Coupe
Yep. It's completely different. We haven't installaed an alarm in Andy's car, but it was tricky to find hot power for the Passport. The wiring is totally different.

Sorry I can't help out.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:12 AM

Mein auto:'01 M Coupe
My '01 M Coupe had both the alarm harness and the siren connector, both of which I cut off and properly soldered my own wiring. I can't imagine that it would be totally different and that they had changed the colors. The siren connector was deep in there and a little bit hard to find, but I found it after a couple minutes and a good flashlight.

I'm not using a wiring harness for the alarm, so I couldn't tell you if it'll match the harness that I'm assuming he bought from Autotoys. But I can tell you that all the colors on the Book of UNGO site matched my car's wiring perfectly. I hate to ask the obvious, but did he grab the right harness? There was only one under there that wasn't being used, so I don't know what else he could have grabbed, but it should be a twelve pin harness (mine only had ten wires though; one was already listed as "unused" and the other was for the rear doors, which are obviously not used).

Jon, where did you mount the Passport? I tapped the sunroof switch for my V1 and found that the colors up there were different from the rest of the car.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:34 AM
The 3-Color M Stitcher

The 3.0i is completely different than the M cars. It already has keyless standard from the factory. The "main alarm connector" is not behind the glovebox. I have not seen what is there in real life, only over the phone and in digital pics in discussions with Andy.

I got Passport power from the switched power that runs the alarm behind the glovebox. I corrected the wiring on the sunroof switch so it lights up per Ron's instructions.

I don't think I can link to Imagestation pic, but here is 3.0i wiring:
Link to copy into browser:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture...ed/fda713bb.jpg
Old 06-12-2002, 09:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to IHZP
Mein auto:2001 Z3 3.0
Unhappy Hi ... clueless friend here..

Hi all....I'm the one with the ungo troubles.

I have NOT taken apart the dash yet to look for the 12 pin connector, and thanks to JonM's post (thank you very much for the pic and useful info Jon) it looks like I don't need to go through the aggrivation...I tend to think that even if I find the alarm harness, the 3.0 wiring harness may be different than the earlier models. Bavarian Autosport has a 3rd party alarm that plugs into the factory connector, but is only available for earlier Z3's. Now why would a 3rd party alarm for the older Z3's not work with the 3.0 harness unless the harness itself has changed (either the connector itself, the pinout, or both)? I confirmed with Bavarian that the 3rd party alarm they have will NOT work with the 3.0. I'm thinking even if I find it, assuming the connector is even the same, I'd need to check the pinouts before even attempting an install. The problem now becomes not only where to look, and what does it even look like?

The other part of this puzzle is the OEM alarm. The OEM alarm MUST be dealer installed. Bav. auto. explained to me that there is some "coding" that must be done in order to be installed. What this "coding" is I don't know.

It may be that since the factory alarm arm/disarm is integrated into the keyless entry on the key, that this is the source of needing the "coding"? That's all purely conjecture on my part, though.

Even more basic quesion I suppose to ask is will ANY aftermarket alarm work with the 3.0's pre-wiring harness because of this need for "coding"? Having no idea what this coding is for or how it's used in the alarm, again ... Bavarian rep. said that there was no aftermarket alarm that he knew of that directly fit the harness on later cars.

Matt
IHZP

Last edited by IHZP : 06-12-2002 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:08 AM

Mein auto:'01 M Coupe
I forgot that the later cars did come with keyless installed. That does make the Book of UNGO directions harder to use.

Thanks for reminding me about the Ron's directions for the lighted sunroof switch (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/z3coupe/m...0w37/23290.html). I had read them at one point but forgot to do it. I'll take a look at it this week.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:26 AM
The 3-Color M Stitcher

I don't think the coding applies to any of the Z3 cars. Only E46, E39, etc. and the other "sophisticated" cars.

But who knows. Maybe the 3.0i is different.

I don't know the part number for the OEM 3.0i alarm. But if it were my car, that's what I'd buy and use. Not aftermarket. I suspect it has a different part number than the pre-3.0 cars.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:35 AM
Respect my authoritah!

Mein auto:2001 M Coupe IR/IR
Went through this rigormarole

My GF has a Z3 3.0 with a late '01 build date. Notice in the Accessories catalog, the alarm for this car is different from earlier ones. Its also alot cheaper. My theory is that much of the alarm kit is already installed on the newer cars. Anyway, it seems true that you must buy the alarm from a dealer, and it must be installed by a dealer because of some software programming. For a long time, the software was unavailable. It has only recently become available (see my letter in the newest Roundel). I've heard that panic mode still doesn't work.

I even tried to order the alarm from Circle BMW. They wouldn't sell it to me because they said it required dealer installation and programming. Why I couldn't buy the part for cheap and then bring it a local dealer, I'll never know.

So why the new alarm? I don't know, but my WAG is that the integrated key and rear-view-mirror receiver on the new Z3 3.0's seems to come part and parcel with a new alarm system that is different from previous ones.

I don't know how helpful this info is, but at least you know either that (1) they're not blowing bubbles up your butt or (2) if they are, they're at least keeping their story straight because you're not the only one getting that story.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Shake well

Mein auto:2001 Z3 Coupe
I had a BMW alarm installed on my '00 Z3 Roadster, and it came with a key-fob alarm controller. My '01 Z3 Coupe has keyless entry... the button for this AND the alarm are already on the key-grip itself.

I'm thinking the BMW just installs a very simple module and the encoding they do is to match it up to your existing keys. But I could be wrong.

daver -- 1995 525iT -- 2001 Z3 Coupe
Old 06-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Location: 12 Oak Drive, Marlborough, CT 06447 (860-295-9986) ronstygar@aol.com

Mein auto:'01 M-Z3 coupe, '97 318ti
Anti-theft System (DWA)

Looks like it is controlled by the body electronics control
module ZXE-IV. See the following pics.

Last edited by Ron Stygar : 06-13-2002 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:24 PM
Location: 12 Oak Drive, Marlborough, CT 06447 (860-295-9986) ronstygar@aol.com

Mein auto:'01 M-Z3 coupe, '97 318ti
DWA alarm pics are up

Image page wasn't working.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to IHZP
Mein auto:2001 Z3 3.0
Thanks Ron

Thanks very much ron for the diagrams. Awesome!
Esmerelda's Page Esmerelda's Home Page ~ Z3ers.com