...Ok, here it is. This is a list of all of my projects, to date. Many of these weren't posted, since I didn't know anything about Photopoint or Zing at the time. For the ones that were posted, I've provided links to the archives that contain text and pix. In the future I shall make it a point to post pix of all my DIY Projects both successes and failures.
Note: All projects before #47 were Trans Am Projects.
This was my first DIY Project associated with the Z3. Technically it was for the Trans Am(I traded in for the Z). I made this a few weeks before the Z. It is a hideous monstrosity composed of 9 paint brush heads and some polyester resin. It works wonderfully.
This was a must have. I'm very paranoid about my cars, after having a car broken into a few years back. The only problem I have had with the alarm was when rain water got into the trunk switch and set the alarm off. I fixed this by completely wrapping the latch mechanism in duct tape(greatest invention of the industrial age).
This was one of my very first DIY posts(couldn't locate it in the archives). Made from craft store sheet magnets and Krylon spray paint, they have performed quite well. They haven't fallen off the car, and the paint is as supple as the magnet itself. I also washed them in the dishwasher(pot scrubber setting). I was caught by my partner, and promised not to do it again.
Works quite well and gives the engine a more gutsy sound. Made from old aquarium and sewage drain parts, it is grotesque, but functional. Currently not on the car, though. I am working on an alternate means of ducting cold air for her.
This was my first attempt at faux chrome, and has held up quite well. I used mylar film and attached it with epoxy( This was before I discovered chrome monocoat).
Since the owner of the Dinan shop gave me the eurotag holder, I thought it only fitting to advertise for his business by putting his company's name on the tag. It has held up quite well(it should since it has 11 coats of polyurethane).
Complete failure. I wanted a flexible clear deflector that I could fold up and stow in the trunk. Wind buffeting at highway speeds ripped it apart on it's trial run.
Another complete failure. I did an excellent job sewing up the roll hoop covers. It looked really nice, but didn't offer much in the way of wind protection. Also rear visibility sucked.
This is a ridiculously simple fixit project. It takes all of 5 minutes to install the shocks. The shocks are made from sheet foam that I got at Wal-Mart's craft dept. for $0.30. Where as before, the stereo would skip if I ran over a reflector while changing lanes, now I can go over all but the worst potholes without missing a beat.
So ridiculously simple to do, it almost didn't make it on the list. This consists of 2 nylon straps w/snaps attached under the door pull, and holds a small black umbrella tote.
This was Project#911. Very tedious, but installing it myself saved me over $100.00
This was another success. Situated behind the subwoofer grill, I had to turn the sensitivity down all the way, otherwise the alarm would go off if someone got within 8" of any opening(with top and windows up).
This started out as an exploratory, to see if I actually HAD blown the speakers. Once taken apart, I stuffed the sub box with quilt batting. It has better low end response now, and distortion at high volumes is not as much of a problem.
This was purely a visual, to tie into the metal theme. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like the look. Very easy.
This project was one of my most practical, and money saving(Kangol caps are expensive to replace). The fit is excellent and it has performed quite well.
This was a technical success, but a style failure. I made these from acrylic and velcro, leftover from the roll hoop deflector DIY. These worked really well, but I couldn't stomach how they looked on the car, so I shipped them off to Mario.
This is the coolest DIY. Constructed of polymer clay and Krylon paint, it is the most comfortable shifter I have ever gotta grip on. I love to rave about this. It makes shifting gears even more fun.
This DIY is constructed from 100% cotton and polyfil crib blanket batting. It makes the rear window form a gentle curve at the crease line, plus it has the stylishly attractive BMW Logo;^)
This is the first DIY using chrome monocoat. I was disappointed with this one until I turned the headlights on and view the project in a different light. It was a success, though I could have done a better job installing it.
The jury is still out on this one. The question being, will it hold up against the elements as well as the previous faux chrome projects have? I have since removed the chrome film from the gas cap door. I have other plans for the door.
This has turned out so, so. It was a replacement to the (temporary)chrome veneer, I had place on it a few weeks back. The faux chrome was too bright.
This is my current project and one of my all time favorites. I love the really aggressive "industrial machine" look of the badge, hence the "Z MACHINE" Logo was born. This idea will act as the basis for most all of my future (aesthetic) DIYs. I have several potential projects percolating that will feature the Z Machine theme.
This wraps up my current list of projects. I want to thank all of you guys for your words of encouragement, and for being patient with me about compiling this list. Given a choice between typing up long winded project lists, or creating things in the garage, I'd rather be tinkering. I hope that my endless quest to find and execute new ideas will rub off on some of ya'll. Even project failures, seen in the light of R&D, are just stepping stones to success. KTRSD!!